Friday, September 9, 2011

Assignment #1, The Things They Carried (1-26)

(1.)

Like the soldiers in The Things They Carried, I would carry something tangible if I were in a war or war-like situation. Besides standard issue gear and necessities I wouldn’t carry many physical items. I would carry a picture of my family. I might also carry interesting pieces of literature like newspaper articles or a favorite book.


I would carry the picture of my family to always remember they were back home and remind me if I ever lost hope that I had something to live for. I might bring interesting thought provoking literature to take my mind off the current situation. Sometimes it’s best not to think of the danger you’re in, and when that peril is glaring, you need something to help distract you.


The photo of my family would be symbolic of how I would carry my family with me. My family is the most important thing in the world for me and if I ever were to forget about them I may lose hope. Literature is important because reading can be an escape from reality. When there is no television or games to distract you from reality, books can be a good substitute.


(2.)


Aside from tangible items, I would also carry intangible items. Something intangible I might carry would be memories. Things like dinner with my family, or playing baseball with the blue sky overhead. Perhaps even the memory of the feelings associated with victory or success.

The memories of baseball and family dinner would be relaxing, a reminder of the peaceful world that exists back home. It would be a good defense against the belief that gruesome war is the true, real world. Lastly in a war like Vietnam or Afghanistan there aren’t many obvious, decisive victories and the memory of what victory or success feels like could somewhat supplement its absence thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment